How to make an essay about a book: choose the theme
The first step in making a critical or argumentative essay about a book is to choose the topic. It could be that this is already given by the teacher but if we are allowed to choose we can either treat the book in general or perform an essay on a specific aspect of the work that has caught our attention or that we think it stands out especially . Topics that could be treated about a book:
- – Outstanding influences of other authors or styles
- – Analyze one of the characters
– The style of the author compared to the rest of his work (if it is representative, if it is different, if you notice evolution with respect to previous works, if there is a turning point with what you have done next …)
– Some authors have recurring themes is their works. If you find any of them you can talk about it and the possible meaning. For example, if an author always took a little girl in his works that suffered an accident we could ask ourselves if some fact of his real life is related. Or if there were certain colors or figures that may have a symbolism it could well be the subject of an essay.
-Of course we can talk about the plot and the style of the book and give our opinion about whether it is a good book or not, always reasoned and argued.
How to make an essay about a book: structure of the essay
The structure of the essay will be the same as always: introduction, essay body and conclusion. However when it comes to how to make an essay about a book you can include at the beginning of it a file with the data of the work: title, author, small summary, date it was published and a review with other works of the author and the place occupied by the work to be treated between them.
This has nothing to do with the bibliography or references that can be included in a list at the end of the essay, as a final appendix.
Remember that you are talking about literature, so use rich language and ensure that the text is not only clear, it should sound good, have a broad vocabulary and can use literary resources to make it more pleasant to read.
We said at the beginning that we are talking about a critical / argumentative essay and that is the case, but also in a literary essay. That is, an essay where the form is as important as the background. Use a literary language, here are some tips to do it.
How to make an essay about a book: Presentation Tips
You have worked for hours, you have managed to make a great critical / argumentative essay with a rich literary language. Now it’s time to show it to your teacher. If you take some sheets of a notebook badly cut, the impression it will cause will be poor although its content is of quality. You must give importance to the presentation of the work so as not to make less of it:
– If you are asked to write it by hand, do it carefully, with a good handwriting, without spelling mistakes and on clean paper. Do not hand in a job with blots or erasures. Write first in dirty and once you have the text well worked pass it to clean without making mistakes.
– If you deliver the work to a computer, print it so that the letter does not appear piled up. Leave space between paragraphs and do not use a letter neither too big nor too small, a size 12 is usually the most conventional. Do not try to be too original with the letter type, because it could give the impression of not being serious or difficult to read.
– Take care of the cover. On the Internet there are many images that you can use. If the work enters through the eyes surely the teacher will read it in a more positive way.